Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

There are two barrels which must have an additional length of bamboo added as a spacer to allow the barrels to sit lower. This is needed so all of the barrels will sit in the water at the same level. The issue is possible wave action damage to the frame ii either of these two bamboo spacers were to be knocked loose. To avoid this from happening we will use bamboo dowels. These dowels are hammered through both the long bamboo lengths and the bamboo spacer lengths. These bamboo dowels are quite easy to make with a saw and a sharp chisel.

A hole is drilled through the two lengths of bamboo, and then the bamboo dowel is driven through the hole like a long spike. And once lashed together with the nylon line there are firmly bound together.

When the time comes to add these two barrel assemblies to the framework, they will both sit on sound footing as these spacers will not twist or slip if hit by waves.038.thumb.

And now that we have the the corner braces properly lashed in place, we know that the frame can now be pulled to the sheltered side of the island, without fear of the frame folding or being knocked off square. Once the frame is safely relocated and tied into place we inspect the frame to insure it is squared at each corner.

As you can see in the photo above we were up before sunrise the next morning. We needed to begin adding the rest of the needed frame bracings, but it was a nasty overcast wet morning. Working in drizzle wet conditions on a floating platform using electrical hand tools is never a good idea, especially when you are going to be standing waist-deep in the water. But we were not going to let this dampen our spirits or resolve and decided to go old-school and use a hand-cranked drill and just push on.

I can not stress enough just how important it is to insure all the nylon lashes are tightly wound and securely tied. During use there can at time be considerable stress on the framework, and the only thing that is keeping this frame together is those nylon lashings. Use a premium grade nylon line and hire someone who is experienced with working with bamboo as well as being experienced with lashing bamboo with nylon line. There is a science to it and only experienced boat builders know how to do it properly. I am fortunate that my brother-in-law is experienced at both skills and has the work ethic to do things properly and not cut corners. Those who read my thread on the complete boat rebuild project I completed a few yeas back will remember him as he built the 'Arthur 1' boat for me. Boat builders learn how to properly lash the outriggers together where they are strong enough to handle regular usage in the sea, where a failure due to spotty-workmanship could be catastrophic.

Here Ansong is working on one of the corner cross-braces, and you can see how all surfaces which can be lashed together are very strongly lashed together without exception. This platform has a short railing completely around its middle. This serves three primary functions: a) to attach the inner net enclosure to allowing the netting to be elevated at least 1 meter above the waterline, so if in case heavy wave action housed lobster will not be able to escape, as well as help with security. b) to help attendants working around the net enclosure as it allows them leverage when attending the stock, as it will allow them to sit on and lean against the top railing as they work; and the top railing will also help the attendants from accidentally falling into the net enclosure. c) It will be used to secure a shade-cloth canopy over the inner net enclosure. It is for this reason that the top railing must be so heavily braced and thoroughly lashed together.

As you see in this photo of the first corner that there are two up-right braces. The one on the right is the primary brave which is lashed heavily to the platform frame. This up-right helps to insure that even under heavy stress what the corners will neither twist or collapse. The up-right on the left is used to support any weight which might be placed onto the top rail such as a attendants when working over the top of the railings, or my big butt sitting on top of the railing.

The above photo shows the up-rights in the middle of the railing. Two up-rights (right and left) are heavenly lashed to the platform frame, and the middle up-right is the support for the top of the railing to prevent possible sagging when under weight. (like my big butt sitting on it)

This photo is of the other corner which of course uses the same up-rights for the same reasons. But this corner does differ from all the rest as there is a ladder being installed in this corner so workers and myself can easily enter and exit the water inside the net enclosure. The ladder frame will be built in two sections because the bottom of the ladder will sit so closely to the waterline. There is a chance that this may cause the bottom of the ladder to rot more quickly which will require replacement sometime in the future. By building the ladder frame in two sections it will make this replacement far more easier, as only the bottom two steps will need to be replaced.

while allowing the upper portion of the ladder frame to remain firmly lashed and supported to the framework of the platform. I have always believed that it is best to resolve a potential issue before it ever becomes an issue.

Once the ladder was completed the whole frame was turned 180 degrees so we could actually test the ladder design. This was done by my actually jumping in the water and seeing if I could pull my big butt out of the water using the ladder. I was successful at said task though it required the whole bottom step and probably neither graceful nor pretty. (sorry no photos as to prevent possible trauma to readers )

This is an important know: When you bore a hole through the bamboo and then thread the nylon through the holes, the edges of the drilled holes have a sharp 90 degree edge. This sharp edge can easily cut the nylon cord as it is being cinched (tightened). So the outer edge of each drilled hole needs to be beveled as to avoid those sharp edges which can prevent the nylon cord to snap into from being cut when being cinched tight. We simply used a sharp wood chisel at the lip of every drilled hole to remove all these sharp 90 degree edge of the lip. If you do not do this, it will be almost impossible to properly tighten the nylon line being threaded through the bamboo lengths.

My brother-in-law (Ansong Elicano) showed me several times, and each time there was the same result. He wanted to show me the importance of carving these simple little bevels. He proved to me the importance of beveling every drilled hole. Only all the outer edges need beveling, as there is no need to try to bevel the inner edges, even when bamboo lengths are stacked upon another with drilled hole align with each other. Only were the nylon line will be bent to a 90 degree and tightened is beveling needed to be done.

Ii is also important to discuss the lashing and the 'cinching knot' which is used in the middle of each lashing. It is this cinching knot that gives the lashing its true strength. The lashing needs to be as tight as possible to insure the bamboo framework has the strength needed to withstand the stresses of day-to-day usage. The primary tool used to tighten both the lashing and the cinch knot is either a hammer or a strong stick (without sharp edges).

The hammer or stick is used to tap the wound nylon line together and straight and used as a lever to tighten the lashed nylon lines as the lashing is being done. The wooden lever is particularly important when tightly cinching the 'cinch knot' in middle of each lashing (between the connected bamboo lengths). The nylon line is simply wrapped around the handle or stick allowing the lashed nylon line to be pulled tightly. The most important part of the lashing between two lengths of bamboo is the cinching knot in the middle of the lashing. It is this cinch knot which provides the real strength to the lashing.

Once the lashing has been tightly wound around the two lengths of bamboo it is time for the cinching knot. This is done by wrapping the line a few times in the middle of the lashing. Then the line is twisted several times around itself as it is being wrapped together. By wrapping the nylon around itself it will tighten together as it is being lightened by the lever action of the hammer handle. As the nylon is cinched the middle cinching knot tightens on itself, and when completed all that is needed is to tie an end knot to insure the cinching knot will not loosen in the future. In the photo below I placed yellow arrows to show some of these cinching knots. Wherever two lengths of bamboo are lashed together there will be a cinch knot, and each one needs to be cinched tightly as bamboo tends to shrink a little as it continues to dry and these lashings are the only thing holding the bamboo frame firmly together. You do not want a lose frame when the weather turns rough.

After the first day working on the railings we had added all the bracings, cross-braces and up-rights needed to complete the first side of the platform. We rotated the platform late in the afternoon so we would be prepared to start work on the opposite side of the platform frame early the next morning. By rotating the platform it allowed us to be able to work on the frame in the shallow water which not only made us more mobile at our tasks, but also us to better utilize leverage when cinching the nylon lashings. Doing so makes it much easier to duplicate the braces and up-rights need for this side of the frame. To add all the bracing, cross-braces and uprights to all four sides of the framework actually took three long days for my brother-in-law and myself to complete.

So it is early morning and were are excited to get the show on the road. Having completed the first side we had tackled any issue which had arisen and we had hoped to complete this side, and with luck at least temporarily lash in place the top-rails of the third and forth side of the platform frame. This was going to be a long, hot, sticky day but we were finally seeing the platform frame portion of this project getting near to completion.

We had hit our work goal the evening before so we were able to start on the railings of the 3rd and 4th sides of the platforms early the next morning. This of course still required adding all the rest of the bracings, cross-braces and uprights but we felt it was doable. We had nice weather and we were motivated

My brother-in-law also needed to get back to his own nets in Dinagat Island so he could attend to his own lobsters. Some readers may remember my thread showing how we built our last lobster hut in Cabunga-an, Dinagat Island. His wife was staying on the lobster hut shown in that thread, so she could tend to their lobsters, while Ansong was helping me build this platform frame. He had caught enough fish which allowed him to travel from Dinagat Island and stay with us as we worked on the project, but he needed to get back before the fish and shells ran out. This was one of the driving forces which had us both working at such a pace so the project would be complete before he left for home.

It was cool to see the frame finally coming together after all the sketches and revisions, and the straw models I crafted to test and verify that the design was actually sound. To actually be able to finally see the actual platform floating there had a certain sense of satisfaction. I had been waiting patiently for the time to come when I could actually build the prototype.

I still will have to apply 1-2 gallons of marine epoxy to the bamboo frame. This is because the bamboo used is a thin-walled bamboo which can and will crack as it dries. The marine epoxy will seal and bond the long crack lines in some spots, which will prevent water from seeping into the bamboo lengths. This will help extend the life of the bamboo by minimizing potential accelerated decay of the bamboo due to water saturation during long rains, but the epoxy will also aid in the overall strength of the platform over the next couple of years that it will be in use.

though it is extremely light weight the platform is very strong and will be quite durable. It is possible that I may build another just like it this time next year. Two men have built this bamboo frame in less than two weeks and now that we have figured out exactly how to construct this design, it will be possible to shave a few days off the construction time. I have free access to the needed bamboo so the biggest expense is the 55gallon plastic drums, labor, nylon and the various mooring ropes and lines. So if one is built each Spring than I could keep two unites in constant operation and can retire a unit every two years, and simply recycle the 55gallon plastic barrels and use them in the replacement unit.

nicely done, is it not prohibited to have this type of aqua-farm in your province? It might trap small turtles.
    Last edited by tsunade; 01-21-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tsunade View Post
    nicely done, is it not prohibited to have this type of aqua-farm in your province? It might trap small turtles.
    Doubtful that trapping turtles with this style of floating platform is an issue. The netting used for the net enclosure has a small hole spacing configuration, and is the same style netting as used with most aquacultural 'grow-out' enclosures. The net enclosure is also tightened and held stationary with the use of sag-weights are wooden poles. There is no lose netting, large hole spacing or entanglements to trap or snare even the smallest size sea turtles; and the square/rectangular shape of the net enclosure offers no real impediments that a sea turtle could not easily navigate either through or around.

As far as your questioning the legality of floating aquacultural platforms? They are widely used in myriad varity of marine fish production, crab, shrimp and lobster production throughout the islands of the Philippines and neighboring countries in this region of S.E.A. and countries throughout the world. In fact the Butuan Biz Group in November of 2016 and Caraga Region officially adopted the 'Caraga Lobster' logo trademark to be the Regional Signature Brand.

Aquaculture 'grow-out' nets are not an issue with turtle populations, rather it is the illegal exploitation and callus disregard of citizens. Their excessive harvesting of breeder pairs and eggs. The inability to stop illegal fishermen using dynamite, poisons, compressors and over exploitation practices. The mass damage caused to mangroves and marine nursery grounds due to excessive and irresponsible over usage of fertilizers, insecticides, fungicides, herbicides by coastal rice and vegetable crop production.

The projected annual population growth of the Philippines is 1.45% to almost 2%, while the ever expanding land development reduces the size of usable farmland. With the population of the Philippines is expected to reach 148 million by 2050. And the total size of usable farmland reducing by 20%. And the continued over exploitation of a diminishing marine ecology, there is the tipping point. The problem for sea turtles is the utter lack of respect by the citizenry of the environment and ecology. Don't protect the turtle, rather pluck it out of the sea and throw in in a cooking pot no matter how illegal it might be. That hooray for me and damn everything and everyone else which inevitably outstrip the environment merely for short-term gratification and gain.

Presently aquaculture is producing nearly two thirds of the global food supply. As an environmentalist I wish there was better education starting at the elementary school level and continued through High School, with a State sponsored one year mandatory service focused on environmental service. To clean waterways and coastal areas, reforestation and replanting of mangroves. Create breeding and release programs to replenish freshwater/saltwater species seedstock. And actively and aggressively policing against illegal logging and illegal fishing. This will only happen through educating the youth because adults appear too environmentally corrupt to create real change by policing themselves. One can always dream...
    Last edited by jamesmusslewhite; 01-23-2019 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmusslewhite View Post
    Doubtful that trapping turtles with this style of floating platform is an issue. The netting used for the net enclosure has a small hole spacing configuration, and is the same style netting as used with most aquacultural 'grow-out' enclosures. The net enclosure is also tightened and held stationary with the use of sag-weights are wooden poles. There is no lose netting, large hole spacing or entanglements to trap or snare even the smallest size sea turtles; and the square/rectangular shape of the net enclosure offers no real impediments that a sea turtle could not easily navigate either through or around.

As far as your questioning the legality of floating aquacultural platforms? They are widely used in myriad varity of marine fish production, crab, shrimp and lobster production throughout the islands of the Philippines and neighboring countries in this region of S.E.A. and countries throughout the world. In fact the Butuan Biz Group in November of 2016 and Caraga Region officially adopted the 'Caraga Lobster' logo trademark to be the Regional Signature Brand.

Aquaculture 'grow-out' nets are not an issue with turtle populations, rather it is the illegal exploitation and callus disregard of citizens. Their excessive harvesting of breeder pairs and eggs. The inability to stop illegal fishermen using dynamite, poisons, compressors and over exploitation practices. The mass damage caused to mangroves and marine nursery grounds due to excessive and irresponsible over usage of fertilizers, insecticides, fungicides, herbicides by coastal rice and vegetable crop production.
    crop fertilization,

The projected annual population growth of the Philippines is 1.45% to almost 2%, while the ever expanding land development reduces the size of usable farmland. With the population of the Philippines is expected to reach 148 million by 2050. And the total size of usable farmland reducing by 20%. And the continued over exploitation of a diminishing marine ecology, there is the tipping point. The problem for sea turtles is the utter lack of respect by the citizenry of the environment and ecology. Don't protect the turtle, rather pluck it out of the sea and throw in in a cooking pot no matter how illegal it might be. That hooray for me and damn everything and everyone else which inevitably outstrip the environment merely for short-term gratification and gain.

Presently aquaculture is producing nearly two thirds of the global food supply. As an environmentalist I wish there was better education starting at the elementary school level and continued through High School, with a State sponsored one year mandatory service focused on environmental service. To clean waterways and coastal areas, reforestation and replanting of mangroves. Create breeding and release programs to replenish freshwater/saltwater species seedstock. And actively and aggressively policing against illegal logging and illegal fishing. This will only happen through educating the youth because adults appear too environmentally corrupt to create real change by policing themselves. One can always dream...
    nice, our families homeland is a small island in Bohol province, i like having this floating near our shore

Quote Originally Posted by tsunade View Post
    nice, our families homeland is a small island in Bohol province, i like having this floating near our shore
    My wife's father was from Trinidad, Bohol. His uncle was President Carlos P. Garcia, his mother was Carlos Garcia's sister. My wife remembers Carlos playing his ukulele and singing to her so she would dance for him. He would reward her with fruits and candies. At the time she was perhaps 3 or four years old. After Carlos Garcia die her father and mother moved from Bohol to the Dinagat Island area. I met my wife back when Marcos was still president (just before the People's Power overthrow). I brought my wife to the US and we were married in 1987, and in 2008 I retired and we moved here so my wife could be near her family. We just celebrated our 33rd year of marriage, We have lived here in the Dinagat Island/Surigao City area for over 10 years, and we both love the sea culture.

This style of net platform can easily be used to grow-out saltwater fish species such as milkfish, saltwater catfish, grouper etc. and can also be used in freshwater rivers and lakes areas. They can also be used for raising lobster, shrimp, and crab etc. as they are very adaptable. I still have quite a lot of information to add to this thread which details how they are constructed and detailing how they are used in lobster 'grow-out' aquaculture. Presently this platform is housing 396 latent-juvenile size 'Tiger' lobster in the net enclosure, so I will also be discussing step-by-step how to properly raise 'Tiger' lobster from pueruli (fingerlings) to (500gram) size Sub-adult. I will be discussing their general care, food types and feeding ratios as well as proper net maintenance practices. So I hope you continue to the thread as well as watch videos on my Youtube channel. I am thinking of perhaps starting a website in April or May which will be dedicated to aquaculture/mariculture but I am a retired commercial horticulturalist so I will also be including a wide range of farm and garden topics as well.

11.    Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast