Page 107 of 109 FirstFirst ... 97104105106107108109 LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1089

When you guys do your street photography, are you always by yourself or you have someone with you? Considering it's the Philippines and street crime is rampant there, I was wondering how both amateur and pro photographers deal when it comes to shooting in public. I'm planning on going there next year and plans to shoot streets in Cebu and I'm just concerned with snatchers and hold-upers especially carrying around my t3i. Although it's not that expensive but being a victim of snatching or hold-up, it wouldn't be a great experience while on a vacation. I'll likely be bringing my Canon t3i, and maybe with Go Pro 3+ in Cebu.

Last edited by basikoncept; 03-30-2016 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by f-stop View Post
    When you guys do your street photography, are you always by yourself or you have someone with you? Considering it's the Philippines and street crime is rampant there, I was wondering how both amateur and pro photographers deal when it comes to shooting in public. I'm planning on going there next year and plans to shoot streets in Cebu and I'm just concerned with snatchers and hold-upers especially carrying around my t3i. Although it's not that expensive but being a victim of snatching or hold-up, it wouldn't be a great experience while on a vacation. I'll likely be bringing my Canon t3i, and maybe with Go Pro 3+ in Cebu.
    there really is no sure answer to that, i guess it mostly depends on your experience in street photography and how you carry yourself in public. when i first shot the streets of cebu 5 years ago i went with large groups so safety wasn't much of an issue. later on i preferred going with myself because i like to sit down and talk to people on the streets, something you cant easily do if you're with a group.

in general, people in downtown cebu are used to street photographers. so used in fact that some of them find it irritating and shoo you away. so it's best to do some interaction first before shooting, especially when shooting human subjects. i would also suggest to cover a relatively small area but with many possible subjects so that you can easily familiarize yourself with the situation and be able to detect if someone's eyeing your gear.

what i always do when i shoot alone is find a spot in the carbon market or colon street where there's a vendor, preferably one selling food and cigarettes/candies, and befriend them, talk to them, basically just make them feel comfortable with me. that way not only will i have a spot where i can sit and take the time to compose my shots but will also have someone that could deflect potential safety issues.

other things to take note of:
    - attire. no flashy watches and jewelry, no branded clothes, and no high-end mobile phones!
    - nearest police outposts or stations. plan your route near them or pick a vantage spot near one
    - weather
    - basic protection equipment like pepper spray, whistle, or even stun gun. i wish monopods come with stun guns on one end haha
    - positive attitude. remember that what you shoot reflects how you think

enjoy, and post your shots here!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by basikoncept View Post
    apil2x ko behpinoy version

- - - Updated - - -

sola nako ang lugar way kisaw hehehe

solo tuyok from tch, toledo naga road

"We worry about what a child will become tomorrow, yet we forget that he is someone today".

Quote Originally Posted by sevmik View Post
    there really is no sure answer to that, i guess it mostly depends on your experience in street photography and how you carry yourself in public. when i first shot the streets of cebu 5 years ago i went with large groups so safety wasn't much of an issue. later on i preferred going with myself because i like to sit down and talk to people on the streets, something you cant easily do if you're with a group.

in general, people in downtown cebu are used to street photographers. so used in fact that some of them find it irritating and shoo you away. so it's best to do some interaction first before shooting, especially when shooting human subjects. i would also suggest to cover a relatively small area but with many possible subjects so that you can easily familiarize yourself with the situation and be able to detect if someone's eyeing your gear.

what i always do when i shoot alone is find a spot in the carbon market or colon street where there's a vendor, preferably one selling food and cigarettes/candies, and befriend them, talk to them, basically just make them feel comfortable with me. that way not only will i have a spot where i can sit and take the time to compose my shots but will also have someone that could deflect potential safety issues.

other things to take note of:
    - attire. no flashy watches and jewelry, no branded clothes, and no high-end mobile phones!
    - nearest police outposts or stations. plan your route near them or pick a vantage spot near one
    - weather
    - basic protection equipment like pepper spray, whistle, or even stun gun. i wish monopods come with stun guns on one end haha
    - positive attitude. remember that what you shoot reflects how you think

enjoy, and post your shots here!
    Great tips @sevmik. Thanks.

11.    Advertisement