Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Inquiry on HDD for NAS - comments are welcome...

Peeps,

i'm here again, asking for your comments... both positives and negatives are all welcome...

Since my PC-based NAS is up & running (OS: FreeNAS ver 8.3.0), i want to ask inputs from you. I need to buy 2 x 2TB HDD (to start the RAID 1)... my preferrence is WD Caviar... below are my choices... I just need to know your preferrence between the HDD on the list... i'm not choosy on the speed since this is just for my own personal use as a storage drive. Price wise, i had no concern also on these 3, both are w/in my budget. Once ready, I will set up the drives in RAID 1 (for now)... planned set-up will be on RAIDZ2 (4 drives) w/in the year...

> WD Caviar Green (WD20EARX)... desktop grade
    > WD Caviar RE SATA (WD2003FYYS)... enterprise class
    > WD Caviar Red (WD20EFRX)... NAS grade

In terms of power consumption @ all states, the Red wins... in price, the Green wins... in performance, the Red wins... this statement of mine was based on the HDD Spec as can be seen at WD's site...

Thanks

go for RED tingali kay it was designed for NAS application man jud...

^ thanks bro... your comment is well taken bro... nindot bitaw gyud ang Red and it was deseigned for such an application...

peeps, keep your comments comin'...

i'll make a decision analysis prior to the purchase... dili lang sa ko mag impulse buyer ani kay dili man ni sya urgent need pud...

Blog Entries
    Wd red.......

^ thanks bro... mao ni'y prices diay nila... including the shipment...

> WD Caviar Green (WD20EARX)... 570 rmb... roughly 4.2K php
    > WD Caviar RE SATA (WD2003FYYS)... 610 rmb... roughly 4.5K php
    > WD Caviar Red (WD20EFRX)... 6.4K php

dako2x gyud ang price difference nila...

> 2 Reds vs 2 Greens... around 4.4K php difference
    > 2 Reds vs 2 REs (SATA)... around 3.8K php difference

naka think twice ko's Red dah... sa savings kun mag dual Green ko... i can use that 4.4K php savings for another project... i can even buy a 3rd Green 2TB HDD... samot na if mag quad HDD... the savings will be a whooping 8.8K if i'll go quad Greens against a quad Red... beh, back to the drawing board sa ko... hehehe

Blog Entries
    duda ko, ig mag green ka mabitin ka incase muabot panahon ull be using it more than just a simple nas.

hehehe... simple usage ra gyud ni akoa bro. ning kick-in lang ang pagka interesado aning NAS... nganong nag basa2x... kani gyud passion nato... nangita ko'g justification why mag NAS ko. napagan ang external WD Elements 1TB nko dri. more than 2 yrs na ni in service and still kickin'... wla pa gyud mapuno gani... timing man nangayo akoang anak ug external HDD for her downloaded movie storage, maong ning bagting ang PC-based NAS project nko dri... hhhaaayyyy...

ganiha, pag tan-aw nko sa prices nila, ok ra ko kay w/in my allocated budget man for a single drive... pero, sa pag check nko sa price difference on duals & quads, oi, sakit man diay...paets...

maybe, i'll just opt to purchase a dual 2TB greens 1st then add another 2 TB greens along the way so as to complete the quad HDD for the FreeNAS RaidZ2 set-up...
    Last edited by lloyd_joy; 01-27-2013 at 07:59 AM.

Allow me to share an info as disclosed by Western Digital on their desktop HDDs. This is useful for those peeps that are planning to have a RAID set-up. However, I did not include the WD Caviar Black RE (Raid Edition... Enterprise Ready) and WD Caviar Red since, both were designed and targeted for RAID Applications... both Consumer & Enterprise types.

For the Caviar Black (Non-Entrerprise Grade)... "Not Recommended and Not Tested for Consumer & Enterprise-type RAID applications"...

For the Caviar Green... "Recommended and Tested for Consumer-type RAID application (RAID 0 & RAID 1)"... "Not Recommended and Not Warranted for Enterprise-type RAID application"...

For the Caviar Blue... "Recommended and Tested for Consumer-type RAID application (RAID 0 & RAID 1)"... "Not Recommended and Not Warranted for Enterprise-type RAID application"...
    Last edited by lloyd_joy; 01-28-2013 at 01:11 PM.

finally, had zeroed in on my HDD of choice... it would be, 2x2TB WD RE4-GP... all the benefits & features of the Raid Edition and the Green drive put into one... now, the next process will be to plan on the purchase, bottom line now is "when"?... toink... hehehe
    Last edited by lloyd_joy; 01-28-2013 at 02:57 PM.

the problem man gud with green drives on NAS boxes is that the energy saving mode will cause the nas box to go haywire. At times, it will not detect the drive which is why the WD Red is recommended for them. You can use the blacks too but it's gonna be more expensive. Although i'm not sure if the Greens will be exhibit the same behavior on raid 0 or raid 1 levels.

In your case (soft NAS), it probably won't be the case but I really can't say because I haven't tried it yet (pc-based NAS).

good luck on your choice and setup. btw, i'm using reds on my nas box (qnap)

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast