Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default crap lists of greatest guitarists by rolling stone mag

I have read that mag severaly years ago

imagine jimi hendrix on top while van halen no. 70.
    while kirk hammet and kurt cobain in the top 20's and they also include the axeman of creed, he can play but he's not that good.

van halen is 10 times better than hendrix. the right selection was jimi page(no. 3) and jeff beck I forgot but he's in the top 10. I dont really disagree with beck and page coz they deserve the spot. They even include jery garcia of the grateful dead another hippie. I think they should add britney spears to complete the lists.

I just thought the rest of the list was a total crap.

if you have read the mag pls share your thoughts

The mag based the guitarists on how innovative they are. Jimi Hendrix deserves the Number 1 spot.

But with regards to Van Halen being on number 70 and Kurt Cobain within the top 10 still baffles me. I guess in this generation, the guitarist's "get up" (or in Bisaya, "dating") over powers a guitarist's ability and skill on the guitar.
    وليس هناك كعكه ، والكعكه هو كذبة.

heres my opinion.....

Musicians for me (por ehemplo gitarista) naay uban nindot jud paminawon (radio/cd/cassete tape or playin the oldschool vinyl) once motukar na, bisan unsaon nindot jud d malalis. Tsampyon jud mogitik sa gitara. On the other side of the coin, naa pud mga musikiro nga nindot jud tanawon once mo perform na sa stage...makaihi ka sa kanindot...kung magkalisod tagak pa ang brip. Seldom u can get the best of both worlds....maayo motukar ug nindot tanawon once motukar....and thats Jimi Sa 1960's man gud wala kaayo na mga ek ek nga special effects, "pure raw talent" jud ang "gahum" sa una hehehe. Nowadays...ambot lang kung naa ni sa mga bago na banda. And not to mention the one million guitar effects on the stage...maglaray lang mora ug rainbow hehehe. One trivia ako nabashan sa Herald X sa una...its a punk magazine/tabloid/newsprint (ha ha) na baligya sa Khumbmela duol Shakeys Fuente....did u guys know that sa band nga *** Pistols gikuha si Sid Vicious as bassest not as maayo siya mobaho but nindot siya tanawon sa stage once mo tukar na ang SP hehehehe. He added that image to the band together with Johnney Rotten and the rest of the crew. But still kung pa outstand sa uban mga gitarista...dapat naa jud na ang duha...nindot paminawon ug maayo tanawon on stage...pero panagsa ra jud ni hehe

-AR

Default Re: crap lists of greatest guitarists by rolling stone mag

Quote Originally Posted by depechebox
    I have read that mag severaly years ago

imagine jimi hendrix on top while van halen no. 70.
    while kirk hammet and kurt cobain in the top 20's and they also include the axeman of creed, he can play but he's not that good.

van halen is 10 times better than hendrix. the right selection was jimi page(no. 3) and jeff beck I forgot but he's in the top 10. I dont really disagree with beck and page coz they deserve the spot. They even include jery garcia of the grateful dead another hippie. I think they should add britney spears to complete the lists.

I just thought the rest of the list was a total crap.
    Van Halen is 10 times better than Hendrix? Really?

Hendrix is THE MOST INFLUENTIAL GUITARIST of the 20th Century. He got that distinction not by how many notes per second he could play. He got that distinction because he changed how the guitar and music ingeneral was perceived and used.

To this day, I hear Hendrix's influence in artists as diverse as Sting and U2, to Prince and Nigel Kennedy. And I'm not talking about GUITAR SOLOS, which I suppose is YOUR gauge for how good a guitarist is. I'm talking about the whole thing - arrangements, tone, effects, recording techniques, etc.

Don't consider this list of guitarists like the way you consider the TOP 10 of Tennis. This is not an athletic competition.

Think of this in the same way that people consider Marlon Brando the greatest actor of the 20th century - his work changed the artform itself.

And technically, if speed and skill are your basis, then flamenco guitarists are the best guitarists in the world.

sa ako pud...just cant resists Bossa nova....tsampyon jud kung gitarahay lang.....Antonio Carlos Jobim and João Gilberto!

With regards to innovation, i think they should have included Tom Morello on the list. Was Joe Satriani included? Btaw, for me, the best guitarist are those who can express their emotions via the guitar rather than play it fast ... In that respect, I believe one of the best guitarist in the world is Carlos Santana. Of course, I have no problem with Jimi Hendrix being the number one, coz, he was, after all, a musical genius. And btw, during Jimi Hendrix's time, the concept of guitar effects was still non-existent or at least, still in baby phase, so his ability to make his sound raunchy was .... genius ... he deserve the top spot. Brian May of Queen should also be on the list.

In the late 60's, Hendrix was the cat who had all of the "guitar gods" of that time period shaking in their boots. Not out of fear, but in awe of what this wild black dude was doing with the guitar. A real innovator in the studio; he also incorporated an element of raw sexiness to guitar playing in his live shows. One of the best vibratos ever...If you like Stevie Ray, then you like Jimi.

I hate the idea of ranking guitar players according to greatness or technical skill, speed, virtuosity, innovativeness, etc...but Eddie Van Halen on no. 70 spot is simply preposterous!

But this post really knocked me off... I thought I was the only Bossa Nova freak in this forum...
    Quote Originally Posted by adminroot
    sa ako pud...just cant resists Bossa nova....tsampyon jud kung gitarahay lang.....Antonio Carlos Jobim and João Gilberto!
    Yes, these two guys are the ones I would like to emulate aside from my futile attempts at Pat Metheny licks. I'm also dipping my fingers into the chord voicings of not so familiar Brazilian dudes Joao Bosco and Djavan! Cheers!

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast