Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: samurai swords. blades

asa dapit sa basak? unsa ang landmark? which is cheaper? sa malls or magpahimo lang

Quote Originally Posted by --Makoy--
    asa dapit sa basak? unsa ang landmark? which is cheaper? sa malls or magpahimo lang
    unahan ra gamay sa CIT..daghan mana mga blacksmith diha sa Basak.Naglaray gani na sila nga gidisplay mga klase2x nga metal works..mga gagmay ra nga tindahan..

kun pangsiplay ra nimo,mas makabarato sa mall ky bati man na ug quality..

im planning to canvas, but layo man gud.. tag pila kaha ang price kung magpahimo ko?

suwayi sa fuente dapit ai..kanang sa rajah park hotel dapit sa mai dvd stalls naai namaligya dha mga batangas and i saw a samurai sword didto bati lng cya kai dli curve ang blade like that of a real japanese sword..ask lng didto bacn makapahimo pud ka..ipa curve jud na ang blade nya kai maskn fake ang sword at least sa blade makita nga curved cya..kai sa akong nakit-an mao jud ang common mistakes sa mga local na hinimo nga japanese swords..fake na gani! wla pa jud cla kabalo sa sakto nga form sa usa ka japanese swords..hasta ang tsuba pirting loura! murag cyag western sword..

actually... earlier japanese swords were straight

Quote Originally Posted by swordforum.com
    Historically, straight single-edged blades existed, and these were known as choku-to ("straight swords"). As the Japanese sword originally evolved from the Chinese straight-bladed jian, the Japanese sword was straight prior to the use of clay, which insulated the body and exposed the edge in the final heat treatment and water quenching - the result of which was a naturally formed curve due to metallurgical differences in the harder edge and softer body.

Thus choku-to existed primarily around the Koto period (pre-1596), roughly from 200 A.D. to 700 A.D. (or thereabouts). Some inaccurately refer to these as "ninja" swords, not understanding that this era completely predates historical ninja.
    ...and the blades actually start off straight in the manufacturing process... when the clay is applied during the tempering... the edge side of the blade becomes longer than the non-edge side... hence the natural edge of the curve :mrgreen:

traditional made swords cost several thousand dollars and take a very long time to produce.Â* but with modern advances in metal compunds we can now produce blades equivalent or better than japanese traditional blades.

now there are several catagories in swords... the general catagories more commonly used are wall-hangers, practice, cutting, and battle ready

wall-hangers is the slang for the more proper term: decorative swords... and that's all they're good for... to be placed on display!Â* DO NOT TRY TO ACTUALLY FIGHT WITH THESE THINGS!!! wall-hangers are usually heavier than they need to be, have weak rat-tail tangs, and mostly made of stainless steel to avoid rust.Â* replica blades from movies also fall into this catagory

practice blades are non-edge and used for practice and also theatrical/re-enactment purposes.Â* fencing blades also included.

cutting blades are those made for cutting competitions.Â* good for developing cutting skills but not really battle ready.

if you ever find the need to cut your way out of a life & death situation.. then best have a "battle ready" sword handy... slang for all blades that can withstand the hardships of a real fight

know your metal grades as well... to sharpen your knowledge (pun intended ) I suggest researching these sites:

Â* Â* Â*http://swordforum.com/sfu/

Â* Â* Â*http://www.angelic.org/highlander/realswords/

@abortretryfail: do you know a lot about swords or you just researched it lng for the thread?

I tried to start my own collection a long time ago and tried to learn what I could so I'd know what to get and what to avoid.Â* I kinda gave up when I had trouble shipping swords here

For now I just borrow from friends when I need a prop.

Quote Originally Posted by abortretryfail

For now I just borrow from friends when I need a prop.
    a prop for what?

11.    Advertisement

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast