Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ##### mayol captures wbc lt flyweight title! #####

MAYOL WINS BY 2ND ROUND TKO OVER SOSA, CAPTURES WBC LT FLYWEIGHT TITLE!

By Dong Secuya
    PhilBoxing.com
    Sun, 22 Nov 2009

"A winner never quits!" -- Five time world title challenger Rodel Mayol of the Philippines finally got what he wanted when he captured the WBC Light Flyweight crown moments ago by stopping Edgar Sosa of Mexico in the 2nd round at the Palengue de la Feria in Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas, Mexico.

The long time Mexican world champion who was making his 11th title defense, was dropped in the second round by a Mayol combination. Moments later, the referee stopped the contest after seeing Sosa was not fit to continue.

"I finally got it! Thanks to God," Mayol told PhilBoxing by phone.

The small Filipino contingent that accompanied the new world champion is currently whooping it up inside the arena.

More to follow ...

Congrats to Rodel Mayol! whoooooow! Finally he got the elusive world title belt! NICE!

Payter. Maila na jud ang pinas sa mga maayong boksingero..

congrats!!!! another pinoy champ napud. yehey!!!

nice one! rodel finaly got what he deserves, a world title!

Winner never quits jd. At last...

at last nakuha na jud ni rodel OT ko gamay.. bati lang kay na overweight si marvin sonsona so automatic tang2x iyang bakos. mo move up daw xa sa 118 lbs.

congrats usab Rodel 'Magnum Force' Mayol!

Yessss! Shout out to my former classmate for winning the WBC Light Flyweight Title! Congratz bai Rodel!

MAYOL WINS BY 2ND ROUND TKO OVER SOSA, CAPTURES WBC LT FLYWEIGHT TITLE!

Way back 1999 during our college days:

Rodel : Asa man ka ron bai, wa naman tay klase, uli naka?

Me: Adto ko Colon bai, malit kog second-hand nga walkman, naa koy nakit an sa RD Pawnshop, rematado tag P 600.00 ra (GE nga walkman) haha

Rodel : Kuyugan tika na, kuyugan tika kay dilikado maglakaw mag inusara sa Colon. Naay magpabuang buang akoy bahala.. (He didn't actually mean it, sa pagkatinuod nahan lang sya musoroy kay laay daw sa balay, di pa sya nahan muuli) LOL

I'm sure maka remember pa si Rodel ani hehe
    Last edited by koontz_circle; 11-22-2009 at 02:41 PM.

*Photo credit Ronaldo Schemidt/AFP/Getty Images

SOSA WANTS A REMATCH, MAYOL SAYS ANYTIME

Right after losing his belt to Filipino knockout artist Rodel Mayol, Edgar Sosa of Mexico City asked for a rematch with the new champion to which the Mandaue City native and now Los Angeles-based Mayol said, "Anytime." It was Sosa himself who gave Mayol the opportunity to have another crack at a title after Mayol failed to capture a championship after four tries.

"He asked me for a rematch after the fight and I'll give it to him," Mayol told PhilBoxing.com on the way to his hotel from the arena. "But I'll have to talk to Manny [Pacquiao] first." The Filipino ring hero Manny Pacquiao is now managing the career of Mayol, having bought Mayol's rights from his former Japanense manager, Yasuo Matsuoka.

Mayol Thanks Pacquiao and Arevalo

"I would like to thank Manny Pacquiao for helping me and not losing faith in me," Mayol said. "I would also like to thank my trainer Jessie Arevalo, who really focused his time on my training for this fight and the other members of my team, trainer Jeremiah Quijano and Dr. Ed de la Vega who is my cutman, and of course I would like to thank the never-ending support of my wife Lira who is also here."

Mayol said that during the first round action, he felt that Sosa was a bit drained and that Sosa felt his punches. "Ako nang gitinuod kay morag hinay man iyang sinumbagan unya nasakitan man siya kon maigo nako (I gave it to him because his punches seems weak and he felt my punches)." Mayol dropped Sosa in the first round right after the two had an accidental head butt which resulted in a slight cut on Sosa's head.

In the second round, Mayol dropped Sosa again with a combination. After beating the referee's count, Sosa was again the recipient of Mayol's barrage of punches when the referee came in to stop the contest.

Mayol, who according to many ring pundits should have been a world champion many years ago, has now improved his record to 26-2-1, 20KOs while Sosa, who first won the WBC light flyweight belt on April 14, 2007 by besting Filipino-American Brian Viloria in San Antonio, Texas and successfully defended it 10 times, dropped to 37-6-0, 21KOs.

*Photo credit Ronaldo Schemidt/AFP/Getty Images

AT LAST! Congratz Mayol!

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast