Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Filipinos are a Chosen People

12 SIGNS WHY FILIPINOS ARE A CHOSEN PEOPLE

12 SIGNS WHY FILIPINOS ARE A CHOSEN PEOPLE

1. Magellan discovered the Philippines in 1521 and attempted to plant the first seeds of Christianity. Lapu-Lapu prevented him from doing so, killing him and some of the soldiers and missionaries with him. The rest were said to have gone back to Spain.

2. King Philip of Spain, 44 years later, instructed Legaspi to go back to the Philippines and convert "every soul, every person, in the name of God, to Christianity."

3. As a result of this, the Philippines became the first and only Christian nation in Asia for more than 400 years.

4. When the Americans came to the Philippines in 1898, they brought with them the first Bibles to be brought to any Asian country. Thus the Philippines has the distinction of being the first Asian country to be recipient of these Bibles.

5. A good number of our OFW’s (Overseas Foreign Workers) are spreading the Word of God as they go to foreign lands and actually practice Christianity wherever they go – whether in private homes, business establishments, or in the churches where they go for Sunday mass;

6. These same OFW’s, many of them nannies, caregivers, tending both the young and the aged, are the "unsung missionaries," imparting the message of God to their wards, and reminding the aged, sick, and infirm of the goodness of the Lord as they help them in their final journey back to their Creator.

7. The Filipinos abroad fill up the Christian churches, where a good number has reduced attendance and reduced services due to lack of lay participation. Filipinos are the most active foreign group in most Christian churches abroad, where they participate as choir members, active parish council members, and fill up the churches on Sundays and holidays of obligation.

8. The name "Filipino" evokes a meaning of "piling-pili" (chosen to the highest degree) and "pinong-pino" (finest). Translated liberally, it means "the chosen and the finest people".

9. The Philippines is the 10th country out of 212 countries rich in terms of natural resources, and No. 1 in terms of diversity in marine life. It is also No. 1 in terms of number of marine species in the deep seas. Water abounds in the Philippines, where it is a scarcity even in "rich countries" in the Middle East.

Part of the crowd that attended the Advent Recollection last Nov. 11, 2006.

10. The Philippines is centrally located in the planet earth. It is spared the harshness of a bitter winter and the extreme heat of an arid land.

11. Most Filipinos speak English, the No. 1 language of the world, thus making it easy for Filipinos to be understood anywhere in the world.

12. Filipinos provide entertainment to the world as ambassadors of music. Filipino singers, band players and dancers abound in the entertainment field abroad, "teaching the world to be happy, teaching the world to look at the world in a different way, with beauty, with happiness, with love in their hearts".

Alex believes that the Lord is preparing the Philippines and the Filipino people for something greater to happen.

Alex cites biblical passages to support his discourse:

1. Acts, Chapter 17:26: "From one man, He made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and He determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live"

2. John, 15:16: "You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit – fruit that will last."

3. John, 3:2: "You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand".

Alex ended this particular talk by saying: "We are still young as a people but pretty soon, our story as a people will be revealed to us in its complete entirety and it will be good for us and our country."

12 signs why Filipinos are God’s Chosen ones - INQUIRER.net, Philippine News for Filipinos

12 signs why Filipinos are God’s Chosen ones

By TJ Burgonio
    Inquirer
    First Posted 01:59:00 04/08/2007

Filed Under: Religions, People

MANILA, Philippines -- Are Filipinos God’s “chosen people”?

Can we believe that Filipino workers slaving abroad, those modern-day gypsies who clean toilets in cramped apartments, hop from one hospital room to another tending to patients, or drill holes in the middle of the desert, are God’s “messengers”?

There may be doubts but the signs are everywhere, according to Alexander L. Lacson, lawyer and author of the best-selling book “12 Little Things Every Filipino Can Do to Help Our Country.”

Our history as a Christian nation is replete with signs to prove this, he said—from the Spanish conquest that started when galleons dropped anchor in our waters in the 16th century to the arrival of Bible-bearing Americans 300 years later, from our rich natural resources to the Filipino diaspora.

Lacson has listed 12 signs purportedly showing why Filipinos are God’s chosen. He discussed these signs—the subject of a forthcoming book—in a recollection talk last Tuesday at the Church of the Holy Sacrifice in Diliman, Quezon City.

The signs are “like pieces of a puzzle that, if put together, show us a picture of ourselves—who and what we are as a people,” Lacson said.

These are:

Explorer Ferdinand Magellan’s arrival in 1521 on Limasawa Island, Leyte, in a flotilla of five ships with a crew of 237, including a number of priests.

The priests were ready to spread Christianity among the islanders, but Magellan was killed by local warrior Lapu-Lapu’s men, forcing the Spaniards to sail back to Spain, Lacson said.

“If our history stopped there, it means we would never have become a Christian nation,” he said.

Filipinos were claimed in the name of God.

In 1565, a second Spanish colonial expedition led by Miguel Lopez de Legazpi sailed into Cebu.

When he set out for this part of the globe with Fray Andres de Urdaneta, Lopez de Legazpi had specific instructions from King Philip II to convert every soul on the island to Christianity.

“What that means is that we were actually claimed in the name of God in the second expedition,” Lacson said. “If you look at this [through] the eyes of a Christian, of a believer, [you will see that] there’s a determined plan to make us a Christian people, a Christian nation.”

No accident

As an offshoot of the spread of Christianity in the islands, the Philippines became the first Christian nation in Asia.

“My question is this: Do you think it was only an accident in history when we Filipinos became the only Christian people in this part of the world?” Lacson said.

He pointed out that the world’s three major religions—Christianity, Islam and Buddhism—subscribed to the idea that “there’s no accident in life.”

“I’d like to believe that it was not an accident, and that in fact and in deed, God had chosen these people to be His people in this part of the world to spread His message,” Lacson said, quoting John 15:16 (“You did not choose me, but I choose you...”).

The Philippines is the first nation in Asia to have Bibles.

Although Filipinos had been converted to Christianity, they were prohibited from reading the Bible during the 300-year Spanish rule, according to Lacson.

But the Americans, who took over from the Spaniards after defeating them in the Battle of Manila Bay in December 1898, brought copies of the holy book.

“The Filipinos were the first Asians to read the Bible. I look at it as another sign from God why He chose us a people,” Lacson said.

The Philippines is located in the middle of the world, at least on the Pacific-centered map.

“A small group of tiny islands—7,100 islands—but it’s right there in the middle,” Lacson said. “Is it an accident in history that our Philippines is right there in the middle? Accessible to the north, the south, the east and the west?”

4th richest

The Philippines is one of the richest countries in the world today.

“It is the fourth richest country in deposits like gold, copper, silver and chromite, and oil. Out of 193 countries, we are No. 1 in terms of marine life biodiversity,” Lacson said.

He said the country was so blessed with natural and mineral resources that if one dug a hole even atop a mountain, water would spring forth.

The story of overseas Filipino workers is biblical.

Lacson likened the OFWs to the young Israeli shepherd David who killed the giant Philistine warrior Goliath with his sling, and to Joseph “the dreamer,” who was sold as a slave by his envious brothers but rose to become overseer of Egypt after accurately interpreting the Pharaoh’s dreams about the seven years of plenty and seven years of famine in the land.

“The Bible is full of stories of how God used the oppressed and the weak to spread His message of love and justice and to humble the mighty, the strong and the powerful,” he said.

Lacson related an anecdote about the late Jaime Cardinal Sin who, while in Rome in 1999, was invited to dinner by the president of the Italian car maker Fiat Uno, whose children had a Filipino woman as their nanny.

“The host told Cardinal Sin that the nanny was so good that she turned their kids into better Catholics. It turned out that the nanny, with the kids in tow, would stop by a church and pray each time she went out,” Lacson said, adding that there were countless other stories of Filipinos sharing their faith even with people of other religions.

He cited the story of Filipino nurses praying over a Muslim patient in the throes of death in a state-run hospital in Saudi Arabia.

“You know how I see that? I see that as an act of a messenger—shepherding these patients, although they may have other religions, to God,” he said.

Seeds bearing fruit

The seventh sign naturally leads to the rest.

OFWs—nannies, domestic help, nurses and caregivers—are like ambassadors and messengers of God.

“Maybe today we don’t see it yet. But maybe in the future, we’ll see how the seeds [sown by] these Filipinos working as domestics—attending to these kids, influencing their minds and affecting their hearts on how to see the world and how to act—will bear fruit,” Lacson said.

Filipinos breathe life to the churches of the world.

Lacson said it was not uncommon to see Filipinos in churches anywhere on the planet, either as a priest delivering a sermon, as faithful hearing Mass, or as members of the choir singing in the background.

“Wherever they are, whether as OFWS or residents, according to Fr. James Reuter, they breathe life to the churches all over the world,” he said.

There is so much beauty in Filipinos as a people.

“Today, we have so many countrymen going abroad as singers, dancers... They entertain people. We have singers on luxury ships or members of rock bands in hotels. They bring happiness to other people; they bring beauty,” Lacson said.

“If you ask me, this is one of the weapons that the Filipinos bring to the world. That’s beauty,” he said.

Filipinos can communicate with the world “with their tongue.”

The Philippines is the third-largest English-speaking country in the world—again not by accident, Lacson said.

“We can actually communicate with the people in the South, in America, in Africa, in Asia. OFWs, caregivers, engineers—they communicate with the world,” he said.

And it helps that there are “many races” in the Filipino, so that it is possible to “see the world in that person.”

“The heart of the world is in him,” he added.

Meticulously chosen

For the final sign, the name Pilipino means “piling-pili” (meticulously chosen) and “pinong-pino” (most refined).

“Is it an accident that we are called Pilipinos in our own language?” Lacson said, adding:

“These are 12 signs that convinced me that we are the chosen people of God. He chose us to be messengers, to be His ambassadors, to spread His message in other parts of the world.”

The only problem is that Filipinos have been slow in claiming and proclaiming that they are indeed God’s chosen people, Lacson said.

“I believe that if we can claim [to be] God’s children, and proclaim it...and we teach our children this, God will be happy with it, and He will bless us as a people and as a nation,” he said.

Do you believe we are? If so it gives me the chills.

Share your thoughts...

Thank you!

Last edited by freesoul; 02-04-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by freesoul View Post
    “Is it an accident that we are called Pilipinos in our own language?” Lacson said, adding:

“These are 12 signs that convinced me that we are the chosen people of God. He chose us to be messengers, to be His ambassadors, to spread His message in other parts of the world.”

The only problem is that Filipinos have been slow in claiming and proclaiming that they are indeed God’s chosen people, Lacson said.

“I believe that if we can claim [to be] God’s children, and proclaim it...and we teach our children this, God will be happy with it, and He will bless us as a people and as a nation,” he said.
    12 signs that we are the chosen people. Just one sign for me to see that the person saying it is a DELUSIONAL MADMAN.

How madmen become leaders:
    1) Pad the people's ego. CHECK
    2) Kick out the competition. CHECK
    3) Move for charter change. (or declare martial law). IN THE WORKS
    4) Organize an army.
    5) Massacre millions.

Remember Hitler.

Remember Marcos.

Remember god's commandment: Thou shalt not use my name in vain.

Quote Originally Posted by tokidoki View Post
    12 signs that we are the chosen people. Just one sign for me to see that the person saying it is a DELUSIONAL MADMAN.

How madmen become leaders:
    1) Pad the people's ego. CHECK
    2) Kick out the competition. CHECK
    3) Move for charter change. (or declare martial law). IN THE WORKS
    4) Organize an army.
    5) Massacre millions.

Remember Hitler.

Remember Marcos.

Remember god's commandment: Thou shalt not use my name in vain.

I don't really get your point, are you referring to Alexander Lacson as the Madman?

This is his profile:

Alex Lacson - WikiPilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia

Alexander L. Lacson is the author of the bestselling book "12 Little Things Every Filipino Can Do To Help Our Country" and the poem "I am Filipino". Lacson finished law at the University of the Philippines College of Law in Diliman in 1996 and took post graduate studies at Harvard Law School in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He also studied at the Philippine Military Academy for three years. Today, he is a lawyer and a partner at the Malcolm Law Office in Makati.

He is married to Pia Peña, also a lawyer, who graduated at the University of the Philippines in 1993, and now a legal counsel for Citibank. They now have 4 children and are currently living in places unknown. Lacson and his wife established a foundation to help unprivileged children through school. They are now subsidizing 27 scholars in different public schools in Negros Occidental, Lacson's hometown.
    Last edited by freesoul; 02-04-2010 at 01:13 PM.

Banned User
    Blog Entries
    There is no chosen people.
    This is an overused lie.

Everybody wants to think they are the chosen people.

The Jews think that they are the chosen people.
    But if they were--would God pester them with unending war?

If you think we are the chosen people--
    would God keep this country's people below poverty line?

Do not make such assumptions bro.
    Only preachers say that to lift up the hearts of their believers.

God is a fair and just God.
    Having a chosen people, as a God, only takes away the sense of justice in this world.

I also saw a segment in 700 Club Asia where a Christian Israel Soldier said that the Filipino People are a chosen people, we play a role in spreading God's word to the whole world.

That is why I want to know other people's inputs regarding this matter. Are we destined to be God's messengers?

Quote Originally Posted by freesoul View Post
    I don't really get your point, are you referring to Alexander Lacson as the Madman?

Alexander L. Lacson is the author of the bestselling book "12 Little Things Every Filipino Can Do To Help Our Country" and the poem "I am Filipino". Lacson finished law at the University of the Philippines College of Law in Diliman in 1996 and took post graduate studies at Harvard Law School in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He also studied at the Philippine Military Academy for three years. Today, he is a lawyer and a partner at the Malcolm Law Office in Makati.

He is married to Pia Peña, also a lawyer, who graduated at the University of the Philippines in 1993, and now a legal counsel for Citibank. They now have 4 children and are currently living in places unknown. Lacson and his wife established a foundation to help unprivileged children through school. They are now subsidizing 27 scholars in different public schools in Negros Occidental, Lacson's hometown.
    Hmm... lawyer(s) = politics = running for office. Check out parts in bold

Step 1. padding the ego of the people.

Something tells me nihinay siguro ang halin ana iya first book. Mao na sulat dayon book about God aron ingnon religious dayon. Halin dayon ang new book palit sa first. Sheesh.
    Last edited by tokidoki; 02-04-2010 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Doctor View Post
    There is no chosen people.
    This is an overused lie.

Everybody wants to think they are the chosen people.

The Jews think that they are the chosen people.
    But if they were--would God pester them with unending war?

If you think we are the chosen people--
    would God keep this country's people below poverty line?

Do not make such assumptions bro.
    Only preachers say that to lift up the hearts of their believers.

God is a fair and just God.
    Having a chosen people, as a God, only takes away the sense of justice in this world.

Maybe God pester the Jews with unending war because they haven't accepted Jesus as the Savior.

Maybe God is preparing us for a key role to the world, to be preachers of his Word. That is why we are still below poverty line. So that we will send OFWs around the world to work. Spreading our people in different countries.

Maybe we are Chosen People, Chosen to spread God's Word.

Quote Originally Posted by tokidoki View Post
    Hmm... lawyer(s) = politics = running for office. Check out parts in bold

Step 1. padding the ego of the people.

Something tells me nihinay siguro ang halin ana iya first book. Mao na sulat dayon book about God aron ingnon religious dayon. Halin dayon ang new book palit sa first. Sheesh.
    ha!ha!ha! Maybe your right.

But I've not only heard it from Lacson but from other people too.

It is just nice to believe, but I'm not fully convince yet. that is why I'm open to your comments and reactions.

Thanks Bro

Remember this line from Jerry Maguire after he published his book about his company:

"That's how you become famous, man! You hang your balls out!"

nope... never will be choosen people...

imong list di maka convince na ang pilipinas kay naay choose pipol...

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast