Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Default Is PHP the future of web development?

any thoughts?

Default Re: Is PHP the future of web development?

i believe it's AJAX(Asychronous JavaScript and XML) that's gaining popularity these days. PHP has established its presence and it will remain as strong as it is. The future however seems to be leading to AJAX. GMail, meebo, and other sites are just some of the sites that use AJAX.

im not sure about this .. but for me it all boils down to html ahhahahah
    ALONE:Hated and Punished

AJAX alone is worth very little without the server-side languages, it's simply a way to grab data off the server / db without doing a page reload. Used the right way its a great (and very cool) tool, but it's not going to stand on its own, its essentially Javascript back in its glory days. Gmail, Meebo, Digg, Basecamp, etc., all the Web 2.0 companies implement AJAX in various ways but well they wouldn't exist without PHP, RoR, Perl, cgi etc.

Now PHP has a huge following, it has had this for a long time now and its definitely up there as one of the more dominant languages for web development. It's easy to use, (very easy for beginners to pick up) and deployment is cheap (about 95% of hosts probably support it). I'd say PHP will continue to be in forefront of web development for the coming year. RoR (Ruby on Rails) has made a lot of noise over the past year, and its a great language / framework to base your web apps on, but most hosts don't support it ATM (Dreamhost's a good host if you wanna go the RoR way). Django (based on Python) interests me a lot as well but it's in the same position as Ruby is (poor hosting support). And well if you like 'em IIS / Windows Servers there's always ASP.net. You can't really go wrong with any of the languages mentioned, (and there's a lot more, I'm sure there are Coldfusion fans out here as well) just weigh in the ins and outs of each and stick with it.

Oh, and yep, as Baddudes says, at the end of the day, all these languages will be spitting out html.

Quote Originally Posted by chronnus
    AJAX alone is worth very little without the server-side languages, it's simply a way to grab data off the server / db without doing a page reload. Used the right way its a great (and very cool) tool, but it's not going to stand on its own, its essentially Javascript back in its glory days. Gmail, Meebo, Digg, Basecamp, etc., all the Web 2.0 companies implement AJAX in various ways but well they wouldn't exist without PHP, RoR, Perl, cgi etc.

Now PHP has a huge following, it has had this for a long time now and its definitely up there as one of the more dominant languages for web development. It's easy to use, (very easy for beginners to pick up) and deployment is cheap (about 95% of hosts probably support it). I'd say PHP will continue to be in forefront of web development for the coming year. RoR (Ruby on Rails) has made a lot of noise over the past year, and its a great language / framework to base your web apps on, but most hosts don't support it ATM (Dreamhost's a good host if you wanna go the RoR way). Django (based on Python) interests me a lot as well but it's in the same position as Ruby is (poor hosting support). And well if you like 'em IIS / Windows Servers there's always ASP.net. You can't really go wrong with any of the languages mentioned, (and there's a lot more, I'm sure there are Coldfusion fans out here as well) just weigh in the ins and outs of each and stick with it.

Oh, and yep, as Baddudes says, at the end of the day, all these languages will be spitting out html.
    :mrgreen:

i wonder what features can be added to php in the future, what do you think guys?

the future would be something like AJAX+PHP+CSS+everything else....everything combined to make life easier for programmers...

but as baddudes said, everything boils down to html...

Quote Originally Posted by teeemoy
    the future would be something like AJAX+PHP+CSS+everything else....everything combined to make life easier for programmers...
    but as baddudes said, everything boils down to html...
    please do not forget XML hehehe

Yah, XML has always been like that dude that's always in the background, often neglected, while RoR and AJAX grab all the attention.

i agree with teeemoy.. ajax/php/css is a good combination

yahhhh!.... AJAX can't stand alone...

and for me technology don't stop

yeah! bling bling men...abz'

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast