View Poll Results: Is it alright for an ANTI-GAMBLING Church Cardinals and others to receive money from GAMBLING BUSINE

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES?

4 33.33%
  • NO?

8 66.67%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default CARDINALS and others were receiving MONEY FROM PAGCOR

I hope this is gonna be my last topic about churches and something and i guess some of you might be wondering if im an anti church advocate... but im not.......

I just wanna know some opinions from other people about this recent incident where in fact even our beloved Cardinal Vidal had received such "dirty" money from the infamous PAGCOR.

Is it alright for them to receive money from those people... in which they have this current standing about gambling? Do you think there might be some sort of inconsistencies of their teachings?

I hate double standard kind of people... this is just my own opinion!

Please dont forget to vote for your standing and never to forget also to give comments on such issue.

Default Re: CARDINALS and others were receiving MONEY FROM PAGCOR

Vidal willing to open Pagcor aid list

SINCE everything went to the poor, Cebu Archbishop Ricardo Cardinal Vidal said he is “ready to be criticized and blamed” for receiving donations, in behalf of the church, from state-sponsored gambling proceeds.

“I am not trying to break my head with that (report). After all, everything went to the poor,” Vidal said yesterday, after celebrating mass at the University of San Carlos.

The cardinal explained that the church last received donations from the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. last year, before the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) issued an order prohibiting the acceptance of any cash donations from the state-run firm.

The Philippine Daily Inquirer reported last Saturday that Vidal was among three prominent church leaders who received P500,000 to P4 million in “donations” from Pagcor.

Cardinal Vidal said they will open their accounts to the public if it is necessary, but pointed out that they are not obligated to do this because the church collection is between the bishop and the parish priest.

The collections from all the masses are always posted on the bulletin of all the parishes, he said.

The cardinal has already asked Msgr. Achilles Dakay, Cebu Archdiocese media liaison officer, to prepare the list of beneficiaries of the donations that the church received.

The Cebu Archdiocese used to receive donations from the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office, but it later rejected these after the office started operating online lottery.

Rep. Eduardo Gullas (Cebu, 1st district) defended the cardinal and the CBCP.

“I cannot allow this accusation against a man whom I got familiar with when he was still a monsignor years back,” Gullas told reporters in a press conference yesterday.

The timing is suspicious, he said, as it is meant to downplay the influence of the CBCP. The CPCP did not categorically call for President Arroyo to resign, over allegations of cheating in last year’s elections and corruption.

“Men in public service like politicians or priests always get the arrows and spears. We always get wounded, but we are always cured by our clear conscience,” Gullas said.

In an interview after his mass yesterday, Vidal said the people should not blame the poor since it was the church that accepted the donations.

“Once the donations were received, I immediately requested that they be distribute to different charitable institutions. There is always a process that we follow and everything is given to the poor,” the cardinal said.

Vidal further said that the Catholic Church has always opposed gambling and will never tolerate it.

The church, he said, encourages the community to help them sustain the parishes.

Vidal asked those who have more to help those who are in need.

-------------------- GOT THIS NEWS FROM SUNSTAR.COM.PH

Anyways........ the end does not justify the means....

Vidal willing to open Pagcor aid list

SINCE everything went to the poor, Cebu Archbishop Ricardo Cardinal Vidal said he is “ready to be criticized and blamed” for receiving donations, in behalf of the church, from state-sponsored gambling proceeds.

“I am not trying to break my head with that (report). After all, everything went to the poor,” Vidal said yesterday, after celebrating mass at the University of San Carlos.

The cardinal explained that the church last received donations from the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. last year, before the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) issued an order prohibiting the acceptance of any cash donations from the state-run firm.

The Philippine Daily Inquirer reported last Saturday that Vidal was among three prominent church leaders who received P500,000 to P4 million in “donations” from Pagcor.

Cardinal Vidal said they will open their accounts to the public if it is necessary, but pointed out that they are not obligated to do this because the church collection is between the bishop and the parish priest.

The collections from all the masses are always posted on the bulletin of all the parishes, he said.

The cardinal has already asked Msgr. Achilles Dakay, Cebu Archdiocese media liaison officer, to prepare the list of beneficiaries of the donations that the church received.

The Cebu Archdiocese used to receive donations from the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office, but it later rejected these after the office started operating online lottery.

Rep. Eduardo Gullas (Cebu, 1st district) defended the cardinal and the CBCP.

“I cannot allow this accusation against a man whom I got familiar with when he was still a monsignor years back,” Gullas told reporters in a press conference yesterday.

The timing is suspicious, he said, as it is meant to downplay the influence of the CBCP. The CPCP did not categorically call for President Arroyo to resign, over allegations of cheating in last year’s elections and corruption.

“Men in public service like politicians or priests always get the arrows and spears. We always get wounded, but we are always cured by our clear conscience,” Gullas said.

In an interview after his mass yesterday, Vidal said the people should not blame the poor since it was the church that accepted the donations.

“Once the donations were received, I immediately requested that they be distribute to different charitable institutions. There is always a process that we follow and everything is given to the poor,” the cardinal said.

Vidal further said that the Catholic Church has always opposed gambling and will never tolerate it.

The church, he said, encourages the community to help them sustain the parishes.

Vidal asked those who have more to help those who are in need.

-------------------- GOT THIS NEWS FROM SUNSTAR.COM.PH

Anyways........ the end does not justify the means....
    probably because they spend the collection money every Mass for their sacramental statues and other golden paraphernalia... that's why when it comes to actually "reaching out", there will be a need to do transactions with scandalous institutions.

K ra na uy. Wa may dautan anang sugal kung atong pasultihun ang mga Pro GMA.

di na na angay ipangutana. klaro na kaayo nang di maayo.

Quote Originally Posted by s.n.m.p.
    K ra na uy. Wa may dautan anang sugal kung atong pasultihun ang mga Pro GMA.
    haha!! alegreha ana imong avatar bai gud.

judging on the sunstar article, it purports that Cardinal Vidal only acts as a mere "middleman" on the said funds.. if such statements are true, then i don't think there really is a need to sensionalized this..

looking on the underlying circumstances, could this be an implication of the cardinal's vocal stand at supporting the impeachment of the president? i share the same sentiments with him at finding the truth regarding such issues raised against the president..

anyway, i'm giving emphasis on the above statement..

I thought PAGCOR is a legal institution?

I thought PAGCOR is a legal institution?
    But gambling is a sin and a "mortal" one at that.

Since it is taught in the RCC that there are two kinds of sins mortal and venial.

All gambling system and institution should be banned and that includes PAGCOR. Gambling does not help but gives false hopes on becoming a winner. You don't win, You lose.

PAGCOR is bribing the Churches to drop the anti-jueteng issue. Now we see the result since they don't drop the issue, they'll attack the Church, the authority on our moral foundation.

Please read your bible and help stop the moral decay of our kababayan.

Are raffle draws gambling? How about those charity bingo games? What about the PCSO sweepstakes? Raffle draws, for which the sweepstakes are an example, are games of chance, after all.

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast