Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by josephdc View Post
    ^ The way I see it sis is that the objective standard of goodness is not "made", it simply exists. We all recognize it intuitively when we see or experience injustices.
    but do we not see things or interpret our experiences through our conditioning/filters? that we may not be objective in our standards of goodness..

Quote Originally Posted by YellowSubmarine View Post
    Depende.

Killing a priest for attempting to molest you is not evil for me. Killing a taliban to defend yourself is not evil. Killing a criminal for self defense is not evil

I think the commandment "Thou shall not kill" is not absolute
    do you have to kill that person in order stop him from molesting you?

If you accidentally killed someone then it's a different story, but if you intentionally kill someone then that's evil.. it depends on your intent.. if it's not your intention to kill that person then it's not evil.. if you wanted to kill that person coz he wants to molest you then it's considered evil, your selfish acts makes it evil...

C.I.A.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AmorsoloX View Post
    which is an evil act...

1.) killing a priest

or

2.) killing a taliban

or

3.) killing a criminal

bottomline.. your just killing a human... it only becomes "sin" when you put biases into it...

sin is basically what we dont like or anything that we feel is not appropriate... and such things vary from person to person
    Killing would be subjective if it will not be universally regulated, if everybody would accept that killing is such a doing that entails damnation, I do believe that taliban"s and criminals would never exist. The control there is just to believe that killing is really sinful and punishable.

Just killing a human being? Are you saying the act of killing is a morally-neutral act?

So for you bro killing is not really evil, it only appears "evil" if one sees it as evil?

So for you evil does not really exist?

So what you're really saying is morality is really just a matter of personal preference or taste?
    bull's eye...

you got it right...

the whole concept of good and evil is just a matter of preference or taste... what we like, we consider good. what we dont like, we consider evil....

Quote Originally Posted by miyay View Post
    but do we not see things or interpret our experiences through our conditioning/filters? that we may not be objective in our standards of goodness..
    It is true that each of us perceive the world in our own subjective ways, but I don't think that given that and the conditioning that we received from society, our culture, or whatnot, the objective reality of moral values is undermined.

Quote Originally Posted by AmorsoloX View Post
    bull's eye...

you got it right...

the whole concept of good and evil is just a matter of preference or taste... what we like, we consider good. what we dont like, we consider evil....
    I see. So according to your view there's really no such thing as "good" or "evil". Such concepts are really objectively meaningless because they mean different things to different people. So acts like genocide, the Holocaust, the massacre in Maguindanao, rape, child abuse, and other crimes aren't really wrong, they're just morally neutral or insignificant acts. They're merely the consequences of the preferences of some people. Did I understand you correctly?

Also, isn't this also the case when it comes to music and food? Some people prefer rock music over house music. Some people prefer Chinese food over Filipino food. Similarly, some people prefer killing other people over helping them. Am I right?
    Last edited by josephdc; 03-21-2010 at 09:27 PM.

"For without the Law, sin is dead." (Rom 7:8 )
    Last edited by Hellblazer 2.1; 03-22-2010 at 10:08 PM.

"There is no sin. It is you who make sin exist..."

-Gospel of Mary Magdalene 7:13-14

I see. So according to your view there's really no such thing as "good" or "evil". Such concepts are really objectively meaningless because they mean different things to different people. So acts like genocide, the Holocaust, the massacre in Maguindanao, rape, child abuse, and other crimes aren't really wrong, they're just morally neutral or insignificant acts. They're merely the consequences of the preferences of some people. Did I understand you correctly?

Also, isn't this also the case when it comes to music and food? Some people prefer rock music over house music. Some people prefer Chinese food over Filipino food. Similarly, some people prefer killing other people over helping them. Am I right?
    put the first hand receivers of the so called 10 commandments in the lime light.

those guys DID things today's/NOW people consider weird/immoral/downright disgusting(i.e. slavery, pedophilia, genocide, etc)

coz moses and his ilk had an IN GROUP morality(aged old tradition, with recent 10 commandments under their sleeves) to begin with.

*except of course if you ran into serious bible huggers who will outright claim....nahh, its ALLLL GOOOOOD. deflecting cognitive dissonance and coming out a BIGOT in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by munzter666 View Post
    put the first hand receivers of the so called 10 commandments in the lime light.

those guys DID things today's/NOW people consider weird/immoral/downright disgusting(i.e. slavery, pedophilia, genocide, etc)

coz moses and his ilk had an IN GROUP morality(aged old tradition, with recent 10 commandments under their sleeves) to begin with.

*except of course if you ran into serious bible huggers who will outright claim....nahh, its ALLLL GOOOOOD. deflecting cognitive dissonance and coming out a BIGOT in the process.
    which of the ten commandments that indicates an immoral thing before and is considered moral today?

11.    Advertisement

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 ... LastLast