Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Default String Theory ~ Are we all but just vibrating strands?

We are all made up of atoms at least that is what science tells us -- that we are all but just a combination of indivisible elements that we know in Chemistry.

Since Einstein's Theory of Relativity, physicists used to believe that the theory governs everything there is to know about the universe from the celestial to the terrestrial. Strangely though, Relativity doesn't figure at the subatomic level. In Quantum Mechanics, particles behave erratically that the laws of physics seem irrelevant. Accordingly, subatomic particles move freely defying gravity and space-time dimensions -- it is a totally a different reality down there!

In String Theory physicists posit that the universe may not be that three-dimensional reality we know and that there may be other dimensions that exist between or around us. There could even be eleven dimensions as forwarded by Edward Witten who according to physicists around the world is today's Albert Einstein who by the elegance of his mathematical prowess forwarded the M Theory - an offshoot to the String Theory.

String Theory posits that "the electrons and quarks inside an atom are not 0-dimensional objects, but 1-dimensional strings. These strings can move and vibrate, giving the observed particles their flavor, charge, mass and spin."

String Theory is not your everyday theory that scientists come up with most of the time. The strength of the String Theory is acknowledged by world renown physicists and Nobel Prize awardees like Sheldon Glashow, Steven Weinberg and Abdus Salam as well as those working for Fermilabs and at CERNS.

The String Theory is well explained in the book The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene, Professor of Physics at Columbia University and was adapted into a three-hour documentary for Nova and also shown on British television and the Discovery Channel. I have the book and the video as well and I got hooked to it since I watched and read all about it. The video is available in youtube and the book can be ordered at ebay or amazon. Not sure if there's an ebook of this.

Anyways, if you're familiar with this String Theory, I would be happy to know about what you think.
    Last edited by brownprose; 05-13-2009 at 12:56 PM.

gilangaw akong thread.

ako'y nag post, ako ra poy nitubag...mura ko'g boang ani hehehe

wow, an attempt on the unification of physics. The incorporation of the uncertainty principle to the relativity theory to explain everything. This is really a very difficult topic to understand. I only get some of the picture when dealing with these subjects.. hehe. I was hoping to learn more from you.

"In String Theory physicists posit that the universe may not be that three-dimensional reality we know and that there may be other dimensions that exist between or around us. There could even be eleven dimensions as forwarded by Edward Witten who according to physicists around the world is today's Albert Einstein who by the elegance of his mathematical prowess forwarded the M Theory - an offshoot to the String Theory. " -right now I know of 4 dimensions, space (3 dimensions - x,y,z and 4th dimension is time). According to stephen hawking, his book brief history of time, string theories seem to be consistent if space time has either 10 or 26 dimensions! how do you imagine that?? I think there was an explanation on how imagine this but still...

Quote Originally Posted by randzg View Post
    wow, an attempt on the unification of physics. The incorporation of the uncertainty principle to the relativity theory to explain everything. This is really a very difficult topic to understand. I only get some of the picture when dealing with these subjects.. hehe. I was hoping to learn more from you.

"In String Theory physicists posit that the universe may not be that three-dimensional reality we know and that there may be other dimensions that exist between or around us. There could even be eleven dimensions as forwarded by Edward Witten who according to physicists around the world is today's Albert Einstein who by the elegance of his mathematical prowess forwarded the M Theory - an offshoot to the String Theory. " -right now I know of 4 dimensions, space (3 dimensions - x,y,z and 4th dimension is time). According to stephen hawking, his book brief history of time, string theories seem to be consistent if space time has either 10 or 26 dimensions! how do you imagine that?? I think there was an explanation on how imagine this but still...
    WOW! finally...

Yes, the 26 dimensions have only bosons and there are no fermions but only forces. There is also an absence of matter for both open and closed strings. Many string theory physicists opine that what makes the 26 dimensions theory unstable is that tachyons have an imaginary mass. But you know what, physicists are still trying to figure out the properties of tachyons coz they are also in themselves unstable as particles. Some even believe that tachyons do not exist because it condenses so quickly that you wouldn't find its presence. what is there though is a tachyon or tachyonic field. I still don't know what it is.

@randzg

Kining String Theory has five different theories. So strange that you get confused that all these five theories forwarded (which by the way are in agreement of 10 dimensions) are also correct and yet they vary in the mechanics. Physicists say that of these five, one of them must be The Theory of Everything that physicists are looking for.

Now comes Witten's M-Theory in which he said that the 5 are actually "related" and that there are not only 10 but 11 dimensions of spacetime reality! It is possible that this M Theory could be the best candidate among the Super String theories to be the "Theory of Everything." But then again Witten admits that our understanding of his theory is at the primitive stage.

5th dimension, electro-magnetic force.

Strings theory, considered one of the hottest topics in academic circles - an attempt to unify the newtonian-einstenian theory with the standard model of physics. But what we currently have are just academic speculations we still do not have the technology to test out whether the Strings theory is verifiable or demonstrable.

as you can see, the large hadron collider can only measure upto 10 to the magnitude of -17 cm. strings theory, becomes relevant at around 10 to the magnitude of -33 cm. Layo pa kaayo ta for now, strings theory is one way or the other, is yet to be judged by the tribunal of science.

iv read the book from page to page. great book. iv also read Greene,s 2nd book the fabric of the cosmos. sadly there are ebooks circulating that u can download em for free. its under the title science popularization books. its a pdf file. anybody know were to download steven weinbergs dreams of a final theory or david deutschs fabric of reality for free and other popular physics books? hehe.

anyways, i think the book is about strings for beginners. it doesnt state there how the four forces should behave when it enters the extra dimensions because theres an additional 3 space dimensions. does the extra dimensions loop back unto itself like a mobius strip? what is inside those extra dimensions? i know answering that question would require scientists to build a particle accelerator the size of the solar system. but Greene should have at least speculated what these extra dimensions are. could it be that extra dimensions are just miniature replicas of our universe. sort of like redundunt systems. whatever that means. i think he implicated there that these extra dimensions are like the many worlds interpretation of Hugh Everett. but shouldve backed it up.

[theres F theory. space time with two time dimensions.]

im a believer that we are fundamentally made up of vibrating strings. i have strong faith that therell be indirect evidence that string theory will be confirmed. LHC will prove that [souldhv been the SSC if not for that physicist who answered "the Higgs Boson"]. but it doesnt end there. remember that between 1 and 2 is infinity. but for now strings are the atoms of the Greeks - indivisible.

i think string theory is not yet officially proven..

Quote Originally Posted by jahjay View Post
    i think string theory is not yet officially proven..
    yeah - that's why it is still a theory..

yeah - that's why it is still a theory..
    whaoaaahhahhaa.. nice one..

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast